Aug 4, 2011 - Sep 12, 2011
Tad Leflar curates a mini-retrospective of Jack McLarty’s work, from his earliest print, a woodcut made in 1952, to his most recent print, from about 1990. Known for his dreamlike, imaginative paintings and bold prints, McLarty attended PNCA (then the Museum Art School) in the late 1930s and began teaching at the College during the following decade, serving as dean for several years. Represented in numerous collections including the Smithsonian, the Seattle Art Museum and the Portland Art Museum, his work is also reproduced in three catalogues devoted separately to his drawing, painting and printmaking.
The show will include the small relief proof press that McLarty gifted Paul Missal, a professor at PNCA, who then gave it to the Printmaking department. Each of the presses in the south studio of the Printmaking department are named, and this specific press is called “Jack.” The installation of the press will include one of McLarty’s carved woodblocks.